Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My way HOME...

6 years have passed, and I am no longer a student, but a graduate. I have spent my last week in Moscow packing, never-ending packing. No matter how many times I thought I have finished packing, I ended up stranded in a pile of stuff, to be thrown away?to be given away? or... ... (confusing)

This very morning was my last day in Moscow and I was heading to a must-visit place - Istanbul. It's an early flight, so we didn't spend much time in bed, just a couple of hours. Thank God, we were able to take a short nap in the plane. Turkish airlines - I would give them an 8, out of 10. I love it for its seats. They are so spacious. The food is good. Generally they got A+ for everything except there are no smiles on their air-stewardesses' face, probably due to early hours?
Turkey international airport -Artatuk airport is pretty cool, except that YOU NEED AN 1 OR 2 EURO COIN FOR THE TROLLEY.

The so-called coin exchange service doesn't look honest at all. I have 10 euro note with me, all I need is him changing it into coins, but instead, he tried to give me Turkish Lira instead, no exchange rate stated, nothing was told or indicated. He looked like he's up to no good, so instead of accepting his TL, I grabbed my 10 euro note and ran. I might be too paranoid, but I think it's better for me to drag or pull my luggage than got cheated!!

Right outside the exit of the baggage claim, there are many ATMs, HSBC is one of them. If you are citibank ATM card holder, you might need to walk all the way to the domestic terminal to withdraw. To me, withdrawing from ATM is the best way to avoid cheating.

The way to the hostel was a very tough one. We should have asked for a transfer from the airport to the hostel, we regretted. Having 30 kgs luggage with you, you better take a cab or a shutter! We took 3 hours to reach safe and sound but smelly and sweaty! However, God is good, on the way, we met plenty of good hearted people. 1st came the English speaking pretty young lady, showing us the way, helping us to buy the multiple metro pass. For so long we have never felt so lost, it happens when you don't speak their languages.

After leaving our over-weighted luggage in the hostel, we began our tour in Istanbul. Sultanahmet - it's indeed a very pretty place.... - to be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment